Landlord Information

At d and h we recognise that letting your property can be a daunting prospect with lots to think about. We can take the hassle away from you with our range of leasing and management services.

We have offices in Kirkwall and Thurso providing services throughout Orkney, Caithness and Sutherland. Our qualified property experts are on hand at every stage of the lettings process to assist you with our local knowledge. If you instruct d and h you can rest assured your property is in the best of hands. We will work with you to increase your rental returns and minimise void periods.

Shirley Ann Burgess, is experienced in residential leasing and management with a Level 6 award in Residential Letting and Property Management (Scotland).

Landlord Registration

You will need to be registered with your local council to rent out your property, even if you instruct a letting agent to manage the property for you. It is an offence for letting agents to act for unregistered landlords.

Landlord registration can be applied for online through the Scottish Landlord Register website ( or by contacting your local council’s housing department.

Orkney Islands Council – 01856 873 535

The Highland Council – 01349 886 606

Registration lasts for 3 years and if you want to keep letting your property after this time you will need to renew your landlord registration with your local council.

As of 1st April 2020 the principal landlord registration fee is £66 with an additional property fee of £15 per let property.

It is a legal requirement for all Scottish Letting Agents to join the Scottish Letting Agent Register to be deemed “fit and proper” to carry out letting agency work as approved by the Scottish Government.

d and h are registered with the Scottish Government – Letting Agent Registration Number LARN2308001

In addition to being registered as a landlord with your local council there are a number of other things you will need to consider in order to let out your property. These include:-

  • Mortgage Consent – if the property is mortgaged you will need to notify your lender as your current mortgage may have restrictions.
  • Landlord Insurance – your current insurance policies may not cover you for letting out the property
  • Inform HMRC – you will need to notify HMRC that you will be letting out your property as income from letting may be taxable.

House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) – If you are letting out a property that is a HMO you are required to obtain a HMO licence from your local council.

Services & Fees

Tenancy Agreement Only - £225 + VAT (Per Tenancy)

As of 1st December 2017, the majority of residential tenancy agreements will be a Private Residential Tenancy.

The Private Residential Tenancy is open-ended and lasts until either the tenant wishes to leave the property or the landlord uses one (or more) of the 18 grounds for eviction.

As well as preparing the tenancy agreement, we will also ensure you have the relevant guidance notes that are required to be issued to the tenant. We can also answer any questions you may have regarding the tenancy to ensure you are aware of all your responsibilities and requirements of being a landlord.

Tenant Find Service - £500 + VAT (Per Tenancy)

If you are wanting to manage the property yourself but require help in preparing the property and finding a tenant then why not use our tenant find service which provides:-

  • Initial property inspection to discuss the lettings process and rental valuation.
  • Advice on compliance requirements in order to let out the property. It is your responsibility as the landlord to arrange the necessary works. We will not be able to act for any Landlord that fails to meet the required standards.
  • Preparation of marketing particulars to include photographs and floor plans.
  • Advertising the property on our own website, through our Facebook page and arranging a “To Let” board (where applicable). Additional marketing can be arranged if required at any additional cost.
  • Arranging viewings - direct with you or accompanied through d and h.
  • Comprehensive third party tenant referencing. Up to 2 reference checks are included, should additional references be required these can be arranged for an additional cost.
  • Preparing the tenancy agreement and required guidance notes to be issued to the tenant.

Please note that if using the tenant find only service it will be your responsibility to arrange the tenant check in / out, rent collection, deposit collection and lodgement with one of the approved Government deposit schemes. You will be responsible for all matters to do with the tenancy from the commencement date, including arranging property repairs, ensuring ongoing compliance with legislation and ending the tenancy. We will not market the property until it is fully compliant with all legal requirements.

Marketing & Management Service - £500 + VAT (Per Tenancy) with monthly management fee of 15% of the rent

If you want to sit back and let d and h take away the hassle of managing your rental property on a day to day basis, then our management service could be for you.

Our management service includes everything listed in our Tenant Find Service plus:-

  • Assisting with ensuring the property is fully compliant with all legal requirements to include property condition & safety certification.
  • Arranging a check in meeting with the new tenant/s and providing a comprehensive property information pack. A check in inventory can be prepared for you at an additional cost.
  • Initial rental and deposit collection.
  • Registering deposit with SafeDeposits Scotland and issuing tenant with the required “Prescribed Information”.
  • Monthly rental collection and account reporting.
  • Arranging periodic inspections (intervals to be agreed) of the property to ensure it is being looked after and reporting findings back to the landlord.
  • Arranging ongoing repairs, maintenance and safety certification, as and when required. All works will be discussed with you prior to arranging, unless in an emergency.
  • Provision for an out of hours emergency service through our recommended contractors covering electrical, plumbing, heating, gas safety and locksmith emergency works. Our contractors will attend on your behalf and undertake all necessary works to make the property safe.
  • Reviewing the rent on an annual basis.
  • Serving required notice to terminate the tenancy and dealing with all notices in connection with the property. There may be additional solicitors charges depending on the circumstances.
  • Arranging a check out meeting with the tenant/s. A check out inventory will be prepared for you at no additional cost where d and h prepared the check in inventory.
  • Arranging return of deposit to tenant/s at end of tenancy and advising on any claims that should be made against the deposit.

It is highly recommended that a thorough property inventory is conducted prior to the start of the tenancy. You can prepare your own inventory or should you wish d and h to produce the inventory for you then this can be arranged for an additional fee. Please contact us for further information and fees.

Landlord Requirements

In addition to being a registered landlord with your local council there are a number of requirements that must be met in order to let out your property. In order for d and h to act for you then the following requirements must be met:-

  • The property must meet the Repairing and Tolerable Standards as set out under the Housing (Scotland) Act 2006.
  • Valid Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) that meets the required minimum energy efficiency standards.
  • Current Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) and Portable Appliance Testing (PAT), as applicable.
  • Current Gas Safety Certificate, if applicable.
  • Compliant smoke / heat / carbon monoxide alarms.
  • Legionella Risk Assessment

If you require any assistance regarding a proposed or existing tenancy please contact us on 01856 872 216 or email [email protected]


Freephone to speak with one of our solicitors.